Sticky, Sweet, Tangy, Spicy Chicken Drumsticks, what’s not to love! I love this recipe and my family often requests for me to make this. The recipe is so easy, I never actually have the time to marinate the chicken and it still comes out flavorful and tender.
- Use a cast iron skillet for this if you have one
- If your pan is large enough peel, cube and then soak and drain cubed potatoes or sweet potatoes and pan fry them along with the chicken, it will become a one pan meal
- the honey, crushed chili peppers, and lemon juice at the end is the finishing touch, it gives the chicken its finished sticky tangy glaze
I found this on a great Canadian Food Blog: http://foudefoodmtl.com/eatsathome/spicy-roasted-chicken-drumsticks-with-honey
click on the link above or see recipe below which I have slightly adapted
- 7 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp smoked chipotle powder (next time I’ll actually use a lot more to take the heat level up another few notches)
- 2 Tbls. paprika
- 2 Tbls. sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- pinch of cinammon
- 1-2 small sweet potatoes (optional)
- honey , lemon wedges, and chili flakes
The Method: Combine the spice rub ingredients (everything except for the honey and chili flakes) in a small bowl. Coat the drumsticks with the rub and marinate for at least 2 hours if time permits. Heat a bit of olive oil in a cast iron pan over high heat. Add the drumsticks and brown them for 3 minutes, turning constantly. Lower the heat to medium and continue browning them for another 3 minutes. Tip: This first browning step is key. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the skin is crispy (flip them every 7 minutes or so). I set my oven to “convection roast” at 425 degrees (adjust yours accordingly).Remove the drumsticks from the oven and tent them under foil on a serving plate for about 7 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and honey and chili flakes in it.
The salty, spicy chicken, the tangy lemon and the sweet honey melded together to create a veritable party in my mouth.